I am a Research Computer Scientist at the USC‘s Information Sciences Institute - Artificial Intelligence Division working closely with prof. Emilio Ferrara. I got a PhD in Engineering at TU Dresden at the Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Most of my current research falls within the intersection of Machine Learning, Agent-based Simulations, Social Computing and Network Theory. I study complex machine-to-machine, machine-to-human and human-to-human interactions and address technical and societal problems leveraging the online and offline data.
- May 2021 – present: Research Computer Scientist, Information Sciences Institute, Artificial Intelligence Division, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- March 2018 – May 2021: PostDoc, Information Sciences Institute, Artificial Intelligence Division, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Spring 2022 - DSCI550 - Data Science at Scale
DARPA funded - “UPSCALE: Universal Population Segmentation and Characterization Algorithms for OnLine Environments” under INCAS [Co-PI]
Developing the next generation of tools and techniques for awareness and sensemaking of online influence campaigns, including their detection, characterization, quantification of confidence, and tracking.
DARPA funded - “DARMA: Dialogue Agent for Reducing Malicious Acts”
Developing a multilingual, adaptable system that mediates online dialogue so as to limit communication breakdown due to toxic behaviors. A mediator can facilitate discussions by removing offensive comments that violate community guidelines, inflame controversy or deceive, or by appealing to civility, acting as a role model, and, if necessary, limiting distracting voices when their contribution is detrimental to the community’s welfare.
DARPA funded - “COSINE: Cognitive Online Simulation of Information Network Environments” under SocialSim
Developing the first-of-its-kind cognitive agent simulation framework for studying multi-scale dynamics of social phenomena in online information environments. COSINE’s multi-resolution, scalable framework will enables time-resolved, massive simulations of dynamic, networked information environments.
Keston and ISI Exploratory Research Award - “Identifying Populations Susceptible to Anti-Science” [Co-PI]
We built a system for automated detection of anti-science and anti-vaccine narratives online. Our algorithm can detect the Twitter profiles to likely to spread anti-vaccine sentiment up to one year in the future.
- Chen E, Jiang J, Chang H, Muric G, Ferrara E Charting the information and misinformation landscape to characterize misinfodemics on social media: COVID-19 infodemiology study at a planetary scale. Jmir Infodemiology 2022;
- Ko K, Burghardt K, Muric G Enter At Your Own Risk: The Impacts of Joining a Hateful Subreddit. 2021 IEEE 18th International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Smart Systems (MASS) 2021;
- Muric G, Wu Y, Ferrara E COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy on Social Media: Building a Public Twitter Data Set of Antivaccine Content, Vaccine Misinformation, and Conspiracies. JMIR Public Health Surveill 2021;
- Ho-Chun Herbert Chang E Social Bots and Social Media Manipulation in 2020: The Year in Review. Handbook of Computational Social Science, Volume 1: Theory, Case Studies and Ethics 2021;
- Schmitz M, Murić G, Burghardt K A Python Package to Detect Anti-Vaccine Users on Twitter. arXiv preprint arXiv:2110.11333 2021;
- Nghiem H, Muric G, Morstatter F, Ferrara E Detecting cryptocurrency pump-and-dump frauds using market and social signals. Expert Systems with Applications 2021;
- Muric G, Lerman K, Ferrara E Gender Disparity in the Authorship of Biomedical Research Publications During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Retrospective Observational Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research 2021;
- Heimann M, Murić G, Ferrara E Structural Node Embedding in Signed Social Networks: Finding Online Misbehavior at Multiple Scales. Complex Networks & Their Applications IX 2021;
- Ferrara E, Chang H, Chen E, Muric G, Patel J Characterizing social media manipulation in the 2020 U.S. presidential election. First Monday 2020;
- Ross C, Gupta A, Mehrabi N, Muric G, Lerman K The Leaky Pipeline in Physics Publishing. arXiv preprint arXiv:2010.08912 2020;
- Murić G, Tregubov A, Blythe J, Abeliuk A, Choudhary D, Lerman K, Ferrara E Massive Cross-Platform Simulations of Online Social Networks. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Autonomous Agents ant Multi-Agent systems 2020;
- Ozer M, Sapienza A, Abeliuk A, Muric G, Ferrara E Discovering patterns of online popularity from time series. Expert Systems with Applications 2020;
- Murić G, Abeliuk A, Lerman K, Ferrara E Collaboration drives individual productivity. Proceedings of the ACM on Human-Computer Interaction 2019;
- Blythe J, Ferrara E, Huang D, Lerman K, Muric G, Sapienza A, Tregubov A, Pacheco D, Bollenbacher J, Flammini A The darpa socialsim challenge: massive multi-agent simulations of the github ecosystem. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and MultiAgent Systems 2019;
- Blythe J, Bollenbacher J, Huang D, Hui P, Krohn R, Pacheco D, Muric G, Sapienza A, Tregubov A, Ahn Y Massive multi-agent data-driven simulations of the github ecosystem. International Conference on Practical Applications of Agents and Multi-Agent Systems 2019;
- Murić G Resilience of the Critical Communication Networks Against Spreading Failures: Case of the European National and Research Networks. 2017;
- Murić G, Jorswieck E, Scheunert C Using LTI dynamics to identify the influential nodes in a network. Plos one 2016;
- Murić G, Scheunert C, Jorswieck E On modeling epidemics in networks using linear time-invariant dynamics. 2015 IEEE 11th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob) 2015;
- Murić G, Bogojević D, Gospić N Interdependencies of communication and electrical infrastructures. ICIST 2014 - 4th International Conference on Information Society and Technology 2014;
- RADA P ISTRAŽIVANJE O ULOZI ZNANJA IZ OBLASTI IKT I. 2014;
- Murić G, Macura D, Gospić N, Bogojević D An Approach to Critical Information Infrastructure Protection. Business Information Security Conference BISEC 2013 2013;
- Samcovic A, Muric G Application of Digital Watermarking Technique in Protection of Property on Images. Business Information Security Conference BISEC 2013 2013;
- Murić G, Gospić N, Šelmić M Protecting Critical Information Infrastructures by Increasing its Resilience. International conference on Applied Internet and Information Technologies 2013;
- Murić G, Gospić N, Bogojević D Proposal for possible approach for Critical Information Infrastructure protection in Serbia. 3rd International Conference on Information Society Technology and Management 2013;
- Gospić N, Murić G, Bogojević D The Method for Importance of Elements Assessment Within the Interdependent Infrastructures. The Symposium on Novel Technologies in Postal and Telecommunication Traffic, PosTel 2013;
- Murić G, Macura D, Gospić N, Bogojević D An approach to assess criticality of elements in the process of information infrastructure protection. Telecommunication in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Services (TELSIKS), 2013 11th International Conference on 2013;
- Gospić N, Murić G, Bogojević D Managing critical infrastructure for sustainable development in the telecommunications sector in the Republic of Serbia. E-society Journal 2012;
- Murić G, Krsmanović M ORSA - Organizing Software Application. AIIT - International Conference on Applied Internet and Information Technologies 2012;
- Bogojevic D, Gospic N, Muric G Broadband universal service and access: trends and models. 2012 20th Telecommunications Forum (TELFOR) 2012;
- Gospić N, Murić G, Bogojević D Defining of Critical Telecommunication Infrastructure in Serbia. The Symposium on Novel Technologies in Postal and Telecommunication Traffic, PosTel 2012 2012;
- Krsmanović M, Murić G, Gospić N Improvement of children safety by using RFID based service. 19thTelecommunications Forum (TELFOR) Proceedings of Papers 2011;